What this notice is about
We sent you this notice because we have no record that you filed your prior personal tax return or returns.
What you need to do
- File your personal tax return immediately or explain to us why you don’t need to file
- Complete Form 15103, Form 1040 Return Delinquency, included with your notice to explain:
- Why you’re filing late.
- Why you don’t have to file.
- That you’ve already filed.
- Detach notice stub, mail it with your tax return and completed Form 15103 using the envelope provided. If you prefer, you can fax your information to the fax number in the notice using either a fax machine or an online fax service. Protect yourself when sending digital data by understanding the fax service’s privacy and security policies.
You may want to
- Review what happens when you don’t file a tax return by reviewing the following:
- Review your records and make sure you filed all your prior returns. Download copies of prior year tax returns and products.
- Check to see that you have enough money withheld from your paycheck to pay your taxes. The Tax Withholding Estimator can help.
- Learn more about your payment options if you owe additional taxes on your return.
Tips for next year
- File your return on time.
- Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.
- If you have dependent children, you may be able to claim a tax credit for them.
- Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax
- Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax
- Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC)
- Publication 4681, Canceled Debts, Foreclosures, Repossessions and Abandonments
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer
- Filing Past Due Tax Returns
- Get Transcript
- Paying Your Taxes
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
- You can authorize someone to represent you before the IRS or inspect and/or receive confidential tax information.
- You may be eligible for free help from the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
- You can request a copy of your notice or letter in Braille or large print.
- If you can’t find what you need online, call the telephone number on your notice or letter.
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 19-Jul-2022